South Korea Hopes for U.S.–North Korea Talks After Trump Cuts Military Drills
President Trump ordered the U.S. military to scale back joint exercises with South Korea, raising worries about readiness while sparking hopes for new diplomacy with North Korea.
South Korea said Monday that it hopes the United States and North Korea will restart peace talks, after President Donald Trump ordered the U.S. military to cut back on joint training exercises with South Korea. The exercises, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, had already begun that morning as planned. Trump's decision surprised many people in South Korea, a close U.S. ally that depends on America's help to defend itself against nuclear-armed North Korea. The move raised big questions about whether the two allies are still fully committed to protecting each other.
Trump posted on social media that the military drills are expensive and send what he called a signal that is 'totally inappropriate and hostile' toward North Korea. He said North Korea 'has been unthreatening and respectful' during his time as president. Trump told Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to 'substantially reduce' the exercises. He also mentioned that he had asked South Korea's president to join the U.S. in pushing for Iran to give up its nuclear weapons, and South Korea said no.
Trump pointed to his personal relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as a reason for pulling back the drills. He seemed to want to restart talks with Kim, who has long called the U.S.–South Korea exercises practice runs for an invasion. However, experts say Kim is unlikely to return to the negotiating table unless the U.S. makes major promises, like lifting tough economic penalties called sanctions. Kim's nuclear arsenal has grown stronger in recent years, and he has built closer ties with Russia and China, giving him less reason to rush back to talks.
South Korea's presidential office responded by saying it hopes the 'friendly relationship' between Trump and Kim will lead to 'meaningful dialogue' and help bring peace to the Korean Peninsula. South Korea's president, Lee Jae Myung, is a liberal leader who wants to improve relations with North Korea. He recently turned off loudspeakers near the border that used to blast K-pop music into North Korea. On Saturday, he also offered to hold talks to officially end the Korean War, which stopped fighting in 1953 but never officially ended with a peace treaty.
Not everyone in South Korea was pleased with the reaction from their government. The main opposition party, called the People Power Party, criticized President Lee for ignoring people's safety concerns. They said he was too focused on the idea of U.S.–North Korea talks while Trump's decision left South Koreans worried about their own defense. Trust in the United States has also been shaken in South Korea after a trade dispute started by Trump's administration added to tensions between the two countries.
Military experts warned that cutting back the drills could have serious consequences. Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul, said downsizing the exercises can damage alliance coordination and weaken deterrence against possible conflicts in Asia. Duyeon Kim, an analyst at a Washington think tank, said that reducing joint drills makes it harder for the allies to be ready if North Korea attacks. These drills are how the two militaries practice working together and keep their skills sharp.
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises this year were meant to involve about 18,000 South Korean soldiers. U.S. military officials said the drills would include lessons learned from recent conflicts, including North Korea's involvement in the war in Ukraine. The training was also supposed to include live-fire tests to make sure both armies can work together quickly and effectively. It was not clear exactly which parts of the training Trump ordered to be reduced.
North Korea did not welcome the exercises, even in their scaled-back form. The country's Foreign Ministry accused the U.S. and South Korea of planning provocative drills and vowed to respond with 'a new level of a deterrent.' Earlier this month, North Korea fired two ballistic missiles into the sea, likely as a protest. North Korea regularly uses these drills as a reason to test weapons and rally its own people with messages about a threatening America.
This is not the first time Trump has tried to stop the joint drills. After meeting Kim in 2018, Trump suddenly announced he was suspending the summertime exercises, calling them 'very provocative' and 'tremendously expensive.' Talks between the U.S. and North Korea eventually collapsed in 2019, and Kim has avoided serious negotiations ever since. In September 2025, Kim hinted he might talk again if the U.S. drops what he called its obsession with demanding North Korea give up its nuclear weapons.
Experts believe Kim wants to use his growing nuclear power to push for major benefits, especially the removal of tough economic sanctions. One Seoul professor predicted North Korea will wait to see if the U.S. follows up with real actions before deciding whether to respond to Trump's overture. For now, the situation on the Korean Peninsula remains tense, with both sides watching closely to see what happens next.
"Reducing joint drills weakens military readiness over time against another potential North Korean attack."
Comprehension quiz preview
1. What is the name of the U.S.–South Korea military exercises mentioned in the article?
2. About how many South Korean soldiers were set to take part in this year's exercises?
3. In what year did U.S.–North Korea nuclear talks break down after Trump's first summit with Kim?