'So much still needs to be done': Italian town marks 10 years since devastating earthquake
A decade after a deadly quake destroyed much of Amatrice, thousands of residents are still waiting to return to permanent homes.
Ten years ago, a powerful earthquake struck the hilltop town of Amatrice in central Italy. The 6.0 magnitude quake hit at 3:36 in the morning on August 24, 2016. It killed 303 people and left thousands without homes. People across the region felt the tremors, even as far away as Rome.
On Monday, residents gathered for a church service to remember those who lost their lives. Politicians and leaders came to give speeches and pay their respects. But many locals say the words ring hollow. More than half of Amatrice's roughly 2,100 residents are still living in small, temporary wooden homes — even a full decade later.
A charity called ActionAid Italy released a report last week showing just how far behind the rebuilding effort has fallen. As of April 2026, construction had not even started on about two-thirds of the planned public projects. In the areas that were hit hardest, that number was even higher — seven out of every ten projects had not begun. About 4.85 billion euros has been set aside to pay for all the work.
Sonia Santarelli heads a community group whose name, Comitato Civico 3e36, honors the exact moment the earthquake struck. She started the group so that ordinary people would have a say in how rebuilding decisions were made. She criticized leaders for claiming progress while so many residents remain in poor conditions. 'How can that be when so many are in homes that are uninhabitable?' she asked.
After the quake, temporary wooden homes were set up at 41 sites across the affected region. These homes are cramped and become stifling hot in summer. Some residents even noted the rooms are too small for traditional funeral gatherings. People who lost their houses are sometimes still paying off mortgages on buildings that no longer exist.
Some things have been finished in Amatrice. A new school has been built, and some buildings in the old town center have been restored. A new hospital is nearly complete and could open in 2027 if it is fully equipped and staffed. Still, community members say these completed projects are just a small part of what is needed.
Rebuilding has been slow for many reasons. Italy has had five different governments since the earthquake, and each one appointed new leaders for the rebuilding effort. The COVID-19 pandemic also caused delays. Then a government program meant to help the economy accidentally drove up the cost of building materials and pulled workers away to better-paying jobs elsewhere.
Mayor Giorgio Cortellesi says rebuilding has picked up speed recently, but he admits there is still a serious housing problem. Construction companies renting homes for their workers have driven up rents for local residents. The town's temporary prefabricated homes are now reaching the end of their 10-year warranty and will need to be replaced. Cortellesi promised residents would eventually return to safe, modern homes, but he did not give a clear timeline.
Former mayor Sergio Pirozzi was leading the town when the earthquake struck. He had been at a dinner celebrating the local soccer team's anniversary just hours before. Of the people at that dinner, 36 later died in the quake. 'It is not something I will ever overcome,' he said.
Despite years of delays and hardship, many residents refuse to give up on Amatrice. The population has dropped as some people moved away for better opportunities. But those who stayed show a deep love for their town. As Pirozzi put it: 'For me, even today, this is the most beautiful place in the world.'
"You cannot make people live in these conditions for so long."
Comprehension quiz preview
1. How many people were killed in the 2016 Amatrice earthquake?
2. What does the name 'Comitato Civico 3e36' refer to?
3. According to the ActionAid Italy report, what fraction of planned public projects had not yet started as of April 2026?